Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I hate how blogs are all about the writer

how self-indulgent blogs are - my opinions, my stuff, through my eyes. I promise it will all be about you-you-you when I get back. Here are some of my finished pieces. One of my professors gave me his opinion. In the first work he liked ONE LINE. But it is a pretty kickass line.. The line is on the left side of the pants. It goes thick, streaky/strong/thin, then thick again. I think he would have liked it if I cut it out and threw the rest away, because we hurried onto the next one, which he preferred for its varied handling of the ink and the composed handling of the various handling's.. this doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are looking at the work, i guess. (for those of you who do not know, you can click on the images to see a larger version)

Jump #2 (the one that got the thumbs up)







Jump #1(the one in which there is only a single effective line)












a sketch. One of many












One of my classes that I take (undergrad classes) is all about drawing with a brush. The weather is nice, so we tend to go on these far-flung day trips for some outdoor sketching. Typically following at least an hour on the subwayI emerge from the underground with a small group of fellow students to some small mountain or park, where we will draw whatever we are told to sketch. Last Tuesday we were told to draw pine tree branches. The following day I get a text message (everyone has a cell phone in korea, so profs will sometimes communicate by text message - COOL!) saying that there is a homework assignment - we have to do up our sketch in the studio. The somewhat appealing sketch is followed by the painstakingly finished work. Basically, my technique is pitiful, as I have not been taught any tricks, and I have never really practiced ink painting before. Grad students with whom I share a studio with will often walk up, sorta snicker, and then demonstrate some little trick to do this or that. All in all it has been a successful way for me to learn - try, fail, be humbled, tutored, encouraged (often at this spot i return to the beginning) and finally find success.

1 comment:

pandaming said...

learning to use the REAL brush, eh? =) i love the white space in ink painting... the contrast and the subtlety of the black ink... you almost forget to look at the image itself.

=)

how's going, Paul?